The Minstrel’s Court

The Minstrels Court of Chester

22 June 2019

The Minstrels’ Court was first convened in the Cathedral and Collegiate Church of the Holy Cross and St John the Baptist in 1204 by command of Earl Ranuf de Blondeville, 6th Earl of Chester and Cheshire Minstrels were licensed to ply their trade in the County. Apart from a period in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries the Court has continued to sit and grant licences to Minstrels.